My View

My View
VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE.

Saturday 20 July 2013

The World's End.

In the lead up to going to see this film, I re-watched Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (The first two films in the Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy) for both the pleasure of viewing and to remind myself of the in-jokes and continuing themes to look out for.

The film tells the story of a group of friends who return to their home town after 20 years. They are there to attempt to complete a 12 pub crawl, which they failed to do as teenagers. During the crawl, they discover that the town has been taken over by robots.

Fearful of the secret of their discovery of the secret being discovered, they carry on the crawl, with the aim of escaping once they have finished. The result is a rip roaring action comedy with lots of laugh out loud moments and many quiet laughs when the in-jokes and genre send ups are recognised.

My favourite aspect of the series is how they have taken different film genres and set them in unlikely locations. This film is no different. The Pub Fu scenes are hilarious! There are nods to films such as Invasion of the Body Snatchers and other alien films.

One aspect that I found poignant was the coming together of friends to celebrate an anniversary and the feeling of what could, and should have been. I am going through that at the moment, as I and many schoolfriends are reaching the big 5-0 (some have already!).

I also liked the way that the pub names reflected the characters found and the action taking place.This was also reflected in the choice of song from the soundtrack. The soundtrack is wonderful and evokes the 90s. This is not my memorable decade (that would be the 80s) but there are many tunes that bring back memories.

All in all a wonderful film! It will not be to everyone's taste, but I liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment