My View

My View
VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE.

Friday 25 November 2016

THE GREAT WAR: SOMME, MASH VALLEY AND LA BOISSELLE. I JULY 1916.


For this week's Thursday game, we had a go at The Great War. We played the Mash Valley scenario, from the first day of the Somme. I took the attacking British and Rick the German defenders.
General view of initial dispositions.
As well as the usual one medal for each enemy unit destroyed, the British got a medal for each unit exiting the German edge. They also got a temporary medal for having a unit in the German trenches. Whoever held the crater got a temporary medal.
The British have captured the crater and have men in the German trenches. This counts as two temporary medals.

The British have advanced to the second line of trenches.
After a slow start, the British began to make inroads into the German trenches. They took the crater and broke into the first line of trenches. The defenders took a steady toll of the advancing infantry. My advance was also disrupted by Rick playing well timed combat cards and Ambush cards to thwart my best laid plans!
The German defences hold out. They reach 7 medals.
Eventually, the British attack ran out of steam. Rick reached 7 medals to my 4.

A really enjoyable game. We will play this scenario again, with Rick having the opportunity to succeed where I failed.

1 comment: