My View

My View

Sunday, 27 April 2014


Last year, Rick spent some time trying to develop a set of rules to make use of our Warmaster figures, using Hexxon. This was moderately successful. Ever resourceful, he decided that we should try out the new Hordes Of The Things 2.1 rules.
The infantry frontages did not need changing. Monsters and cavalry could be used in units of two to make up 40mm frontages. Heroes and other units could be bluetacked to sabot bases to allow use.
Two of our recent Thursday games were used to test the concept.
The first game saw Rick controlling the High Elves whilst I led the Empire attack.
The early turns saw the Empire advance. There was some delay caused by some missile fire from the wood. You may wonder why the Elf sorceror is in the Empire camp. He managed to become self ensorcelled by rolling a one twice when attempting an ensorcellment.
The battlelines clashed and the Empire forces destroyed several Elven missile units.

In the end, the Empire forces won the day by destroying 25% of the Elven units.
For the second game, Rick took the Undead and I the Bretonnians.
Although the Bretonnians were the attackers,the Undead couldn't help themselves and attacked.
They attempted to come through the Bretonnian right flank.
Meanwhile, the Bretonnians were having success in the centre, pushing the Undead back.
But the Undead forces finally broke through on the flank and as a result took the Bretonnian casualties past the 25%.

These games were very satisfying to play. We used 48AP armies with one General. The armies were drawn from the generic lists with a bit of fudging where there was no obvious equivalent. The armies certainly benefited from not having the racial limitations and benefits imposed by the Warmaster system which meant that it was more a test of the players skill at using the pips.

Saturday, 26 April 2014


Another blast from the past. A few Thursdays ago I dusted down The Last Crusade card game.
We hadn't played this game for a good few years. 
Rick took the Germans (who roll two dice for supply points) and I took the US forces (who roll three dice for supply points). Here is the starting terrain.
In the initial set up, all units are hidden. These are only revealed by recon rolls or when they are adjacent or in combat with an enemy unit.
Early stages of the game with the US advancing.
The failure of a US attack meant that they needed to build up forces again. This allowed the Germans an opportunity to consolidate.
We didn't have time to finish the game, but it was obvious that the Germans would take some shifting. The US were preparing an attack on the right when we called it quits.

This was a game we played a lot back in the day. We didn't finish the game, mostly due getting the hang of the rules again. The game was flowing a bit faster at the end as it all came back to us. Maybe I'll get the chance to use the Eastern Front expansion, that has been gathering dust, in future?

Sunday, 20 April 2014


We have not played Commands and Colors for a while. We put that right a few weeks ago with a Para Bellum series of linked battles.
Rick used his Selucids (top of photos) to fight my Gauls. The first battle was the first to four banners, which Rick reached before me.  All losses were diced for between games to see if lost units rallied.
The second battle was the first to five banners. This was closer, but Rick won again.
The final game was first to seven banners. Once again, Rick won for an overall aggragate of 16-9.

This was an enjoyable way to spend an evening. We managed all three games in just over three hours.

Saturday, 19 April 2014


My Wednesday group has been on a bit of a nostalgia kick recently. In Her Majesy's Name has been put back till after the spring and summer holiday season.
Monsterpocalypse has been hanging around unplayed for a few years after and initial flurry of interest about five years ago. We decided to give it a go again, a few weeks ago.  
David with Lords of Cthul took on Derek with his G.U.A.R.D. force. Here is the initial set up.
The early part of the game saw a race to control buildings with units. These would give an advantage when acquiring power dice for monster combat.
The opposing monsters clash. It was a back and forth battle with lots of brawling and throws with lots of damage to buildings, units and monsters. Both ended up in their ultra form.

The game did not reach a conclusion but was absorbing. It was difficult to get used to the powers and abilities of the units and monsters as well as the effects of destroying buildings. The management of power, boost and action dice was beginning to become familiar. We will certainly have a few more games.

Saturday, 12 April 2014


The scenario for our Thursday evening game was a continuation of Neil's introductory game. Neil carried on with Defiant, with Rick doing Dominion. I handled the 'neutral' Klingons.

The Defiant continued it's pursuit of the Dominion ships. Unfortunately, it runs into two Jemhadar patrol craft, which themselves are about to be intercepted by two Klingon Birds of Prey.
The Klingons were cloaked and waited to see what Defiant's intentions were before taking part in the action.

Defiant carried on attacking the Dominion forces and ignored the Klingons.

The Dominion forces attacked the Klingons, however, and suffered for it. They lost three ships whilst causing minor damage to the Klingons and Defiant.
In general, the current Dominion ships are too lightweight. Hopefully they will have some reinforcement for the next battle.